SC - bread pudding

CBlackwill at aol.com CBlackwill at aol.com
Tue Apr 25 01:19:37 PDT 2000

In a message dated 4/24/00 4:08:11 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
kelan at mindspring.com writes:

> I am new to bread pudding and trying to make some to fill a request.  Do you
>  have a favorite recipie and what is nunny wiskey sauce?
>
>  I was told BP isn't period and it would be another strike against my SCA
>  future.  I don't know what the overall view of the stuff is in cooking
>  circles.  Would rice pudding be more period.  If so what spices would be
>  appropriate and according to what sources?  BP isn't up there with serving
>  turkey and potatoes is it?

Whiskey sauce is a caramel based sauce which, oddly enough, contains large
amounts of uncooked whiskey in it :)  At least, that's the way I make it!  As
for bread pudding being period, I can't help you there.  I'm new to this
whole medieval research thing, myself, so I'll be learning right along with
you.  I do have numerous mundane recipes for bread pudding, if you are still
interested (Burboun Street Bread Pudding, White Chocolate Bread Pudding, Warm
Macadamia Nut Bread Pudding, etc...).  Of course, judging by the titles, none
of these would be period, even if it turns out basic bread pudding is.

This may be extraneous for some of you, but...

When I did my second Apprenticeship dinner at a local Country Club, I had put
together what I considered to be a fantastic menu:

Pan Smoked Bacon Wrapped Scallops with Cuban Rice Timbale and Three Sauces
(which contained Rum)
Classic Beef Wellington with a Rosemary and White Truffle Demi-Glace (which
contained Burgundy)
Margarita Sorbet with Lime (which contained Tequila)
and Bourbon Street Bread Pudding (which contained Bourbon)

There were other items on the menu, but the vast majority, as you can see,
contained Alcohol in one form or another.  And, as luck would have it, when
it was reviewed in the paper the following day, I learned that most of the
guests in attendance were tee-totalers, and couldn't eat more than half the
items!!  It still got great reviews, though, and I sold out at my next one
(possibly BECAUSE of all the alcohol...Bakersfield is the alcoholism capitol
of California, after all).

Balthazar of Blackmoor

Words are Trains for moving past what really has no Name.