SC - Platina in Florence

Richard Kappler rkappler at home.com
Thu Apr 27 13:18:51 PDT 2000

According to Santich, De Honesta Voluptate was first published in Rome in
1472 from a manuscript dated 1468.  I should think it would be no problem at
all presuming that a book of such widespread popularity had reached Florence
by 1495, especially as she goes on the say it was translated into French in
1505 and then German.  Again though, you would be making a presumption as
I'm sure the purists will point out with a sniffle and an upturned nose, as
there is no concrete documentation to prove Platina was available in
Florence in 1495.  Then again, there is no concrete documentation to prove
that water was available in Florence in 1495 either, but methinks it a safe
presumption.

regards, Puck