SC - Wanted: Period recipes for Organ Meats - particularly Heart

colette waters collette at kricket.net
Thu Apr 27 19:43:43 PDT 2000

Moma used to cook a calf heart in a crock pot until it was tender and
then stuff it with onions & apples dressing or rice dressing and serve
it with a roux gravy.  Very, very good. Or if it was a beef heart she
would slice it and smother it down with onions, bacon, sweet peppers,
etc. and serve it with rice.  To me the heart tastes better if you soak
it in milk first. We raised our own meat and we used everything except
the squealer.
Begga Elisabeth

 She tells me that