SC - Flaming Slamander (was Books on the shielf)

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Thu Apr 27 21:58:21 PDT 2000

Bear wrote:
>A salamander is a hot iron used for browning, melting cheese, etc.
>Four-legged salamanders are a symbol for the element of fire.  A flaming
>heraldic salamander toasting cheese was proposed several years ago as the
>badge of the SCA Cooks list.  A couple of gifs were created, but they appear
>to have faded into the mists of cyberspace.

Ooh, ooh, gifs? Anyone have any?

Now THAT would be a cool way for us to identify each other at events
- - wear a Cooks List badge...

Hoping to meet more cooks from this list... Anyone else besides me
and Lord Cariadoc out here in the West going to be at Beltane? I camp
with Crosston and i'm holding "The Moorish Science Reading Room"
there Saturday afternoon. I drag out probably over 100 pounds of
books on various aspects of Near Eastern culture and am holding,
well, a Reading Room. I won't be cooking while this is going on
(gotta keep the hands clean to handle books), but i'll make some mint
tea. I would love to meet more folks in the flesh.

I will be making a couple period dishes for dinner - one with spinach
(i think it's from Manuscrito Anonimo) and something with garbanzos
and/or lentils (i have several recipes to choose from). I always cook
vegetarian food, since we have vegetarians in the guild and, barring
allergies and food dislikes, omnivores can eat anything.

And, yes, i do one substitution - well seasoned vegetable stock for meat stock.

Anahita al-shazhiyya