SC - Now Valencye was Books on the sheilf

Robin Carroll-Mann harper at idt.net
Fri Apr 28 15:52:19 PDT 2000

And it came to pass on 28 Apr 00,, that Lorix wrote:

> Yep - Fried.  Just remember _you_ asked for the recipe, I just want to
> know whether she actually got it from a period source & if she did so,
> what did the original actually look like before she got her hands on it?
>
> I seem to remember someone once suggesting it was from an arabic source
> (al-Bagdadhi maybe?)
>
> Anyway, Just for you Siggy ;-):  Madeline Pelner Cosman's recipe:
> Valencye (Fried Valencia Oranges)
[snip]

It's *not* from any of the Christian Spanish/Catalan cookbooks that I am
familiar with.  Those don't really have have fritters which are batter
coated.  Most of them are based on dough, and are either little fried pies
with fillings or little cakes with the flavoring ingredients kneaded into
them.  Incidently, the earliest explicit reference that I've seen to sweet
oranges is 1609.

I will leave it to others to comment on the likelihood of this being an
Arab dish.

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
Settmour Swamp, East (NJ)
mka Robin Carroll-Mann