SC - Re: Welcome to sca-cooks

Donna Kepner Ford evfemia at mail.com
Fri Apr 28 20:07:55 PDT 2000

CalicoJim1 at aol.com wrote:

> Good evening, I just subscribed to your list.  As I read through the
> guidelines it mentioned that I should post a little about myself so that you
> could all get to know me.  So here goes.  I am a loyal subject in the Kingdom
> of Avalon.  I'll come clean it's not an SCA group although we have a lot of
> crossover.  Physically it's located in Phoenix, AZ.  I'm a fighter at heart
> (insert boo's) :-] but I recently learned that by cooking I could "fight" on
> the arts list.  I have been a cook since I was 16, mom was a fantastic cook
> and I never learned how to cook until I started thinking about giving up her
> cooking.  By the time I left her I was rather decent at cooking meat and had
> a lot of fun with casseroles.  I still can't do decent baked goods:-[  When I
> fell into Avalon I started looking for medieval recipes and had some fun.
> Now that I can enter a list I figure to become a little more involved.  Which
> is how I found you.  I'm hoping to gather some recipes and fatten up a few of
> my fellow fighters
> :-]  Well if you have any questions let me know. Have fun - Calico

Nice to meet you Calico from Lady Evfemia, Barony of Iron Mtn, Meridies
(B'ham, Al)

I'm brand new at sca-cooks as well.  I'm hoping to get more involved in
feastcrating at our sca events.  I've helped a lot in the kitchen at
events.  (I once made 36 loaves of flat, white bread in just under 4
hours.)

I'm interested in any period recipes members would like to share. Also
copies of pre-20th century or medieval/renaissance  cookbooks that may
be traced down through a library or book store.

Your group sounds interesting.  What's the difference between it and the
SCA?  Do you attend SCA events as well?  Just curious..

Evfemia at mail.com