SC - four humours/food

Donna Kepner Ford evfemia at mail.com
Fri Apr 28 20:58:08 PDT 2000

Does anyone have information they would like to pass on as to how the
four humours, Sanguine, Choler, Phlegm, and Melancholy related to food
in the middle ages.

 I'd like to know how different foods and various ways of preparing them
may have led to a better balance in the four humours to a medieval
person's mind.

As many of you have pointed out, there are countless, varying opinions
today as to how foods should be balanced in our daily diet.  (Someone
mentioned the lovely snack promoted by Dr. Atkins of cheese wrapped in
fried bacon.  Most of us would probably cringe at the thought of all
that cholesterol and fat.)

I'm sure opinions varied as much in medieval times.  But what was
promoted by the different personalities of the time about this topic?

Evfemia at mail.com
Barony of Iron Mtn.  Meridies

Kingdom Arts and Sciences, hosted by the Barony of Iron Mountain, is the
weekend of May 26th -29th at Camp Coleman in Trussville, Al.  Hope to
see you there!  Check out your Pop' Chiv''.  Feast and bed spaces are
still available.