SC - transporting ingredients

Anne-Marie Rousseau acrouss at gte.net
Sat Apr 29 06:26:18 PDT 2000

hey all from Anne-Marie
Cairistiona asks:
>>Okay, so we have the spice box set up and the sacks for larger quantities
>of
>>things like wheat and rice.  How did people in period store and/or
>transport
>>powders like amydoun, powdour douce, and so on?  Do we have any pictures or
>>documentation, or do we fall back on rustic jars with corks in because they
>>look more period than glass screwtop jars?

le menagier or Chiquart, one of those guys, mentions that you are to store
your spices in leather bags. He also mentions that you are to buy them
whole and powder them yourself (for freshness sake? I think?).

Francesco is right about the apothocary jars as well...that's how the spice
shop is shown to store them in the illos, like the Tacitium sanitas, but we
dont see folks carting them away in those beautiful majolica jars. and dont
forget your sugar came from the druggist as well!

Flour and grain seem to be transported in bags of some sort of white
material (course linen? it was the cheapest fiber for most of Europe),
according to the manuscript illos.

hope this helps!

- --AM