SC - Milk at Pennsic

RANDALL DIAMOND ringofkings at mindspring.com
Sat Apr 29 18:57:58 PDT 2000

> milk at Pennsic is far, far better than anything I can buy at home, and
the
> only milk I will drink straight without protest.  I've come to the
conclusion
> that it must be the milk, not the chocolate, that makes Pennsic chocolate
> milk so good.  I think the milkfat content must be higher; for me to get a
> similar taste texture here, I have to buy half-and-half!
>
> Brangwayna<<<<

Probably the reason for the terrific flavour of the
local milk at Pennsic is that that region of the country
is largely settled by the Dutch and particularly the
Almish.   There are a huge number of dairy farms
in that area  and largely, they don't use as much
of modern agribusiness methods (using a lot of
chemicals and antibotic steroids) as are used in
many areas of the country.  I was also impressed
with the quality of the pasturage which is very lush
compared with that of southern and western areas.
This quality grass shows up in production of superior
milk.  It also doesn't hurt that Pennsic is in the middle
of the summer and the grass is at its second cutting
peak.  I was amazed to see a wide variety of wildflowers
late in the year too, especially last year.  This too will
affect the taste of milk very positively.  Down here in
the South, weed infestations in late summer often add
a bad "whang" to our milk, especially wild onions and
corn cockle (which is poisonous to cattle in sufficent
quantity).  I drink about 2 to 3 quarts of milk at Pennsic
daily.  Great stuff!
Akim Yaroslavich
"No glory comes without pain"