SC - Flaming Slamander (was Books on the shielf)

Korrin S DaArdain korrin.daardain at juno.com
Sat Apr 29 20:30:10 PDT 2000

On Fri, 28 Apr 2000 23:05:16 -0500 Donna Kepner Ford <evfemia at mail.com>
writes:
>Please... somebody tell me what a cuskynole is?  I'm dying to know.
>(Even my spell checker doesn't know what it is.)
>
>I think it would be really cool to come up with an identifying symbol
>wear at events.  Something anyone could easily come up with.  How
>about
>a 3-pronged fork as a hat pin?  (ha-ha)
>
>Evfemia at mail.com
>Barony of Iron Mtn. Meridies

	Cuskynoles (English, 14th c.)
	Curye on Inglysch p. 52 (Diuersa Cibaria no. 45)
	From Cariadoc's Miscellany, Copyright © by David Friedman, 1988,
1990, 1992.
	A mete þ at is icleped cuskynoles. Make a past tempred wiþ ayren,
& soþ þ en nim peoren & applen, figes & reysins, alemaundes & dates; bet
am togedere & do god poudre of gode speces wiþ innen. & in leynten make þ
i past wiþ milke of alemaundes. & rolle þ i past on a bord, & soþ þ en
hew hit on moni perties, & vche an pertie beo of þ e leynþ e of a paume &
an half & of þ reo vyngres of brede. & smeor þ y past al of one dole, &
soþ þ en do þ i fassure wiþ innen. Vchan kake is portiooun. & soþ þ en
veld togedere oþ e zeolue manere, ase þ eos fugurre is imad:
	& soþ þ e boille in veir water, & soþ þ en rost on an greudil; &
soþ þ en adresse.
	Modernized English: A meat that is named cuskynoles. Make a paste
tempered with eggs, & so then take pears & apples, figs & raisins,
almonds & dates; beat them together & do good powder of good spices
within. & in Lent make thy paste with milk of almonds. & roll thy paste
on a board, & so then hew it in many parts, & each part be of the length
of a palm & a half & of three fingers of breadth. & smear thy paste all
on one half, & so then do thy filling within. Each cake is a portion. &
so then fold together of the same manner, as this figure is made: [see
above] & so then boil in fair water, & so then roast on a griddle; & so
then dress.
	Filling:
	one ripe pear (7 oz)
	one apple (Rome?) (7 oz)
	4 oz figs
	4 oz raisins
	4 oz whole, unblanched almonds
	4 oz pitted dates
	1 1/2 t cinnamon
	1 1/2 t nutmeg
	1 t cloves
	1/2 t ginger
	Wash and core apple and pear but do not peel. Cut figs into 2 or
3 pieces each. Use a food processor or mortar and pestle to reduce the
ingredients to a uniform mush.
	Pastry:
	1 1/2 c flour
	1/4 c water
	1 beaten egg
	Stir cold water into flour, stir in egg, stir and knead until
smooth. Roll out as two 12"x15" sheets. Cut each sheet into 10 6"x3"
pieces. Spread 1 T of filling on one piece and put another piece over it,
making a sandwich of dough, filling, dough. Using the back of a thick
knife, press the edges together to seal them, then press along the lines
shown in the figure, giving a 6"x3" "cake" made up of fifteen miniature
fruit filled ravioli, joined at their edges. Boil about 4 minutes, then
broil at a medium distance from the burner about 4 minutes a side,
watching to be sure they do not burn.

Korrin S. DaArdain
Korrin.DaArdain at Juno.com
Quondo Omni Flunkus Mortati