SC - Re: SC: Quince fruit

Lee-Gwen Booth piglet006 at globalfreeway.com.au
Sun Apr 30 02:03:13 PDT 2000

- ----- Original Message -----
From: Akim Yaroslavich
>I can't imagine where you are getting fresh
> quinces this time of year.

Easy answer to this one!  Tasmania in Australia - your seasons are reversed.

> As to wine recommendations for period recipies, I suggest
> a sweet and fruity red like Fransia Chillable Red which is fairly
> cheap.  I suspect that a lot of the period red wines were very
> fruity, moreso than todays burgundys and bourdouxs as they
> did not age their wines as we do in vintage production.

I wonder if a cask (for those who don't know, a cask is a cheap cardboard
box containing a bladder full of cheap wine - think flagons in boxes) red
Lambrusco would do?  This is our usual house/cooking wine; it is lighter and
fruitier than a burgundy.

Gwynydd of Culloden - Ynys Fawr, Lochac, Kingdom of the West