SC - Honey Advisory!/ exploding mead

Patrick Hood kelan at mindspring.com
Sun Apr 30 08:04:19 PDT 2000

 To quote RANDALL DIAMOND
Cooks and Meadmakers: The price of honey is rising fast.
> If you have some extra cash and use a lot of honey, I suggest
> you stock up now.  It is about to become a lot more expensive
> IMO from my observations and talking to other beekeepers.
> Last year was an absolute disaster for most of the Eastern
> US beekeepers as the drought cut the bloom of most usual
> honey flowers drastically.  The many bee parasites and
> diseases plus the lack of close by open water sources
> also put a huge amount of stress on the hives as well.  Loss
> of hives this winter in my area by professional apiaists was
> over 50% and most amateurs 100%. The price of honey may
> well double by the end of the year (or more) unless this is a
> really great(and normal ) summer.  Of course, it may not occur
> (like Y2K), but it keeps well and I would rather not be caught
> up short.

If any of you are wondering why your mead bottles exploded there is a debate
among some circles as to wether or not honey sellers have to tell you if
thier honey has had cornsyrup added to bring down the cost!  I think the
explosive pressure comes from the yeast being better able to use the sugar
in the corn syrup and over producing waste gasses.  Could you just add a
gass release valve and get a higher proff mead?  Would you want a higher
proof mead?
Nyckademus