SC - Re:Quince Fruit

Lee-Gwen Booth piglet006 at globalfreeway.com.au
Sun Apr 30 10:29:41 PDT 2000

- ----- Original Message -----
From: Akim Yaroslavich

> I'm quite aware of seasonal precession caused by axial tilt,
> though most Americans don't seem to remember it.  Many
> will have trouble coping with the SUMMER Olympics not being
> in Summer this year (From their POV).

Yup - it should drive them all crazy!  Finally the world is going to be
working the right way around!

> Hardly any average mundane ever buys them as they
> are clueless as how to prepare them (most don't know you
> have to cook them).

My Lady apparently bought one once thinking that since it looks like a pear
... she was soon disabused of that notion!

As such, I was baffled as to the (apparent)
> importing of them this time of year as they are not a popular
> item in America, NOT that they are unavailable from the southern
> hemisphere.  I assumed South America as Chile is the major
> supplier.

Actually, we grow them here in Tassie too, which might explain the price.
They are, however, a fruit which rarely shows up in the shops - not popular,
I guess (as you said).  Which is why I want to grab them while they are
available.  For me, they are a very old-fashioned fruit - one of the things
my grandmother grew and used.

Lady Gwynydd of Culloden