SC - Re:the top 8 icks list

CBlackwill at aol.com CBlackwill at aol.com
Sun Apr 30 21:44:37 PDT 2000

In a message dated 4/30/00 9:33:54 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
lorix at trump.net.au writes:

> > What on earth is vegemite?
>
>  Vegemite is an Australian institution!!!
>
>  Basically it is a spread for bread, toast or whatever else you feel like
> putting
>  it on.  It *looks* (to the unsuspecting) like a chocolate spread, it tastes
>  (mainly) of salt!
>
>  If you took a vegetable stock cube, added a smidgen of water, your come
> close to
>  its taste ;-)
>
>  Lorix

If I'm not mistaken, it is the cooked and highly salted trub gleaned after
brewing beer.  Essentially, yeast and malt extracts and such.  My brother in
law is from Sydney, so we had to find a source for it here in the states
(still no source for Vic Bitters, though).  Turns out KRAFT makes it, and you
can buy it in most grocery stores.

Try baking some cupcakes and frosting them with the stuff, and then see if
you can make it out the door before your guests kill you...  It's a great
little game I like to play...

Balthazar of Blackmoor

Words are Trains for moving past what really has no Name.