SC - Iron Chef advice

Elaine Koogler ekoogler at chesapeake.net
Thu Aug 3 05:57:05 PDT 2000

In a message dated 8/2/2000 1:06:53 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
jenne at tulgey.browser.net writes:
Balthazar said:
<< > Toys for Tots??  Rediculous to the extreme??  Come on, Ras... we are a
 > service oriented society, are we not?  Besides, don't you drive your very
 > modern car to events??  :)
 Jadwiga responded:
 Apparently, Ras only approves of doing benefits for medieval
 organizations. Must make it hard to do demos in his area. ;) >>

Come on, guys.  It's not that he doesn't believe in benefitting the rest of
the world, or only benefitting other medieval groups.  He's talking about
keeping a medieval atmosphere at events.  Iron Chef and Toys for Tots didn't
exist in our time period; heck, the concept of them didn't exist.  If you are
in this organization to try to recreate medieval life, it's really hard to do
so when there are banners for Toys for Tots everywhere, or when the main
event is a recreation of a television show!  You can do the same kinds of
things without making a big noise about the modern stuff - for instance, how
is one of our siege challenges different from Iron Chef?  Sure, have people
bring a toy to donate to enter the tourney - but don't make a big noise about
it during the event, or simply announce that alms for the poor should be
given to the almoner at this location.  People will know what you are talking
about, but it's not as blatantly modernly intrusive.

For the record - I agree with Ras.

Brangwayna Morgan