SC - Toys for Tots and other comments

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Thu Aug 3 09:25:04 PDT 2000

> You certainly are not wrong. I just think that in keeping with the 'medieval'
> theme charities that have are much broader and have more potential for
> actually 'helping' could be utilized.
>
> I see nothing wrong with choosing appropriate charities.
>
> Ras

I actually agree with Ras on many aspects. I like the thought of doing
charity fundraising for causes that our Medieval counterparts would have
have supported.

I also agree about his feelings on things like "Toys for Tots" or other
non-critical New Age type charities. But one thing to remember is that
often the SCA has a hard enough time with the local communities and
if a group helps out with some functions then it raises awareness and
acceptance within the community. As an example, our barony once
supplied the Dallas Police Department with scores of handmade teddy
bears for the officers to keep in their patrol cars. These were used to
comfort children who would be in the extremely stressful situations
caused when the police had to be involved. Not period or even
practical. But we gained a lot of ground with the police.

But having tournaments or feasts and making them an "Alms for
the Poor" theme where the proceeds go to the local food banks or
hospice would be a period act as well as giving to the community.
Helping a community who asks for our presence for a "Medieval
Faire" to help the poor I also feel would be a noble endeavor no
matter what the end gift is.

I'm glad Ras likes the "Make A Wish" tournament because if he
opposed that I would have to send the brute squad to convince him
otherwise.

I have no problem with "Toys for Tots" or help for the animal shelter
or park restoration programs (especially if it is the park the local group
uses) but many of these could be individual contributions.

Taking Ras' advice to start looking to period charities and/or ways
to present charity activities in a Medieval light is a good idea.

Gunthar