SC - Toys for Tots and other comments

Brian L. Rygg or Laura Barbee-Rygg rygbee at montana.com
Thu Aug 3 12:28:06 PDT 2000

> >  I just think that in keeping with the 'medieval'
> >  theme charities that have are much broader and have more potential for
> >  actually 'helping' could be utilized. For instance, I think the Make a Wish
> >  Foundation is a good cause (Queen, king, prince/cess for a day thing.
>
> Allright.  How does letting a terminally ill child sit on the throne for a
> few hours relieve suffering or financial woes?  How does it "help" at all?
> In truth, it doesn't help the child or their family one bit, but it makes
> EVERYONE involved feel better.... just like the Toys For Tots campaign, or
> ANY other event dedicated to a charitable organization.

We hear back from their caregivers that the children who have been our Wish
Princes and Princesses showing much life-signs and survival rates than anyone
expected for children in their respective conditions.  It's a fine line, a child
must have a terminal illness but still be well enough to enjoy their 'wish.'  A
day away from the dreary hospital routine is always a treat, but making a dream
come true can have long-reaching effects which cannot be bought with any
currency.

A tale is told of Prince Ramon, some months after his Day as our Wish Prince,
lying in a coma and not expected to last but hours or days.  Someone put his
sword and his shield in his hands, and he awoke and rallied.  What monetary
contribution could compare?

Yes, we who serve to make these days happen feel good too, but that's a happy
side effect.  It has been a few years since we've had one of these tourneys, I
wish we could do it again some time soon.

Selene
proud court jester and occasional horsie to the Wish Princehood in Caid
selene at earthlink.net