SC -corn in the USA

Sue Clemenger mooncat at in-tch.com
Sun Aug 6 06:53:55 PDT 2000

And it came to pass on 6 Aug 00,, that Mark S. Harris wrote:

> Any idea/documentation whether this paella is period?

I don't know.  The word does not appear in the 1726 edition of the Royal
Spanish Academy's dictionary.  Certainly the modern recipes contain
New World ingredients like tomatoes.  De Nola has a recipe for an oven-
baked rice-and-meat casserole*, so it is conceivable that a rice dish
similar to paella was being cooked in period.  But I have not seen any
mention of one.

Brighid, in pre-Pennsic-panic mode, who shouldn't even be reading the
list right now, let alone posting.

*Call me a spoon tease, if you like, but I don't have time to provide this
recipe today.

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
Settmour Swamp, East (NJ)
mka Robin Carroll-Mann