SC - cheese questions

Mon Aug 7 06:13:37 PDT 2000

On Sun, 6 Aug 2000, Mark S. Harris wrote:

> Lainie saidL
> > I'll be leaving in a couple of hours to head back to Eugene and then
> > tomorrow for the famous Caversgate Gatekeeper event (most of which takes
> > place in one of the cleanest and loveliest rivers in the country) and I
> > don't know if I'll be able to check/reply to mail again before we leave
> > for site. So- I just want to say this...
>
> *IN* one of the cleanest and loveliest river in the country?
>
> More details please.

No problem! IN the river! It's a local defender tourney (one of the cool
kind, where you do a , um, heptathalon to win- multiple categories, and my
lovely student, the Wonder Vesta, won, which was spiff...) and a popular
event because it is the Illinois River State Park. The Illinois river runs
through, and it is a protected river and important salmon spawning area.
Clean as clean can be (or rather until the Fighters climb in! ;-).
Wonderful swimming. And IN the river? well, it is so nice and so popular
(temp was in the mid 90's) that they have a tradition of holding Saturday
afternoon Principality Court IN THE RIVER. It's called River Court. Very
fun. If you get called, you are not required to kneel... a herald of my
acquiantance put his crib cards in a ziploc bag, and the Cupbearer put the
Summits Grail in a ziploc also. It was pretty funny...

Oh- food content? We went to the potluck, as usual. We made Icelandic
Chicken (always popular- and it's Kelly's favorite and she's leaving the
country soon, so...), a big pot of Perre (the peas porrige stuff from 2
15th c. CBs), and the cheesecake from Digby. It was all yummy and ALL OF
IT WAS GONE before I got to the table! I guess they liked it... heh heh
heh... _I_ didn't hear any complaints about period food not being good...

Downside? Seumas and I discovered a hazard to going out walking in the
dark. Looked like plain ol' tall grass. It was tall grass with little
burrs- bazzillions of them. We were going to put down my blanket and watch
the stars (OH GOD but they are pretty way out there away from city
lights... dimensional) but once we sat down we discovered we stuck to
everything and they were sticking to us! Ouch! We didn't stay out long.
And now there's garb and a wool blanket that I need to sit and pick burrs
out of. Duct tape. It'll do the trick...

The other downside is trying to get packed and leave, when it's hot and
the river beckons...

Sigh.

'Lainie