SC -corn in the USA

BalthazarBlack@aol.com BalthazarBlack at aol.com
Mon Aug 7 09:34:47 PDT 2000

Jenne Heise wrote:

> > I don't like the Toys for Tots tourneys because we are charging the fighters
> > a fee to participate in the Tourney.  ( A toy) Have you been to a toy store
> > lately?  A decent toy costs $10-20.
>
> So? If the fighter doesn't choose to enter the tourney, they don't have
> to. It's funny, but everyone who is objecting here is acting as if there
> was some kind of requirement for those who disagree with the charity to
> attend the event. Unless it is a Crown or Coronet tourney, what is
> stopping people from NOT GOING if they don't like it?

Nothing, really. I think there's a mentality that says if there are any
conditions, at any time, that are not optimal for the attendance of a
particular person with given needs or opinions, it is somehow unfair.
This is somewhat akin to my trying to impose my nut and shellfish
allergies on members of my group all the time. Then, there's also a
rather significant percentage of the SCA population that seems to feel
that pointing out a flaw in a plan is sufficient excuse not to do it,
like the lady who wanted to scrap the A&S expo we did last year because
the only site we could find in the time constraints was a dry one, and
she felt that, as a vintner, she was being unfairly excluded from participating.

It occurs to me that anyone either objecting on moral grounds or
financially uncomfortable about donating a toy could still fight pickups
on the side, or between rounds, etc. I can't speak for anyone but
myself, but I would guess that in my experience, the actual tourney
tends to occupy, what, 50-60 percent of the fighting? Of course, someone
who doesn't pay the entry fee, whatever it may be, is presumably barred
from _winning_ the tourney, and it could be argued that that is somehow
discriminitory.

Ultimately, it is a personal choice issue.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com