SC -corn in the USA

Mon Aug 7 09:50:33 PDT 2000

There is also the difference in grazing flora available there.  Our
grass varieties and theirs would differ, most likely given the genetic
development projects these days.

Also, we know that various roots were used as fodder, though I don't
remember iof only for pigs or for other livestock as well.  Beet roots
and white potatoes were fodder in some parts pf Europe in times up to
16th century.  My guess is that lots of vegetable waste was also sent to
the troughs, though I have no documentation for it.  Peelings, trimmings
and discards seem logical source for animal feed in Middle Ages since
they didn't have garbage disposals . . . maybe fertilizer for gardens,
too.

Even if MA farmers fed grain, it would have been very different from the
strains we grow today for high output, disease resistance and weather
hartiness (let alone that hormones and prophylactic medicines for things
such as brucillosis weren't being used then).  These could all affect
taste and health of the stock and their related products, I would
speculate.  I know Purina wasn't around  :o)

niccolo difrancesco

>>> Sue Clemenger<mooncat at in-tch.com> 8/6/00 9:31:22 AM >>>
My guess is, depending on your part of medieval Europe, in contrast to
the U.S., not only would the cow breeds be vastly different, but we may
feed them different cereal grains, different types of hay/straw (don't
know, for instance, if alfalfa's period), different food supplements,
etc.  Purely speculation, of course, as I am in no way an animal
husbandrywoman (unless you count housecats).
- --Maire