SC - Toys for Tots and other comments

Lee-Gwen Booth piglet006 at globalfreeway.com.au
Mon Aug 7 10:12:08 PDT 2000

melcnewt at netins.net writes:

> But this a fee over and above Troll, And I disagree with that.

Why do you disagree with that?  Is it the "morality" involved, or the
expense?  If your opposition stems from the belief that participants are
being "unfairly duped" into donating to the charity (as many on this list
seem to believe), then I feel obligated to point out that the Toys For Tots
events are always advertised as such (at least all of the ones I have been
to) well in advance.  If it is a financial opposition, I also feel obligated
to point out that the only stipulation is a "new, unwrapped toy".  There is
no minimum monetary limit, nor is there a maximum cap (as far as I know).
Being the father of a brilliant 8-year-old, I can tell you from experience
that a single Hot Wheel costs anywhere from .99 to $1.29, depending upon
where you shop.  If you are that strapped for cash, and still wish to attend
the event, contact me ahead of time and I will mail you the $1.29 myself,
plus tax :)  Or, I would be more than willing to donate one or two of the
several hundred Hot Wheels I have in my personal collection (but not the
really cool ones...) on your behalf.

Folks and Folk-ettes, I'm having a hard time believing that the opposition
expressed towards these charity-driven events is genuine.  For those who
"require" drama and opposition in order to justify their existence, and make
themselves feel important and "informed", might I suggest that you switch
gears, and begin opposing the fact that the turf at most events is not, in
fact, a period species of grass/ dust/ weed?  Or, rather, that flush toilets
are an outrage and "rediculous in the extreme", because they were not
available in the Middle Ages??  Suffer the little children, for Goodness'
sake, allright?  Toys for Tots is a worthy cause, because it helps to bring
joy and happiness into a life which might otherwise have been deprived of it.
 Until we find a "cure" for the ills these children face (whether it be
physical, emotional or financial), we should do our part to treat the
"symptoms".

Balthazar of Blackmoor
(who just stepped right through the top of his soap box, and is now trying
vigorously to shake it loose from his ankle...)

In the mornin' I go walking, 'cause it helps the hurtin' soften.  I've seen a
lot of places, 'cause I miss her very often.