Butter Beer Ideas [was Re: SC - RE: chocolate recipe?

Norma Hamlet normischell at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 8 11:47:13 PDT 2000

 Me: > Cockroach Clusters were also mentioned, but I refuse to make those with
any

> >degree of realism.
>
> Brandu:  Actually I think that Cockroach Clusters are a referential pun to the
> Monty
> Python bit "Crunchy Frog"
> I get the impression from a number of references in this last book, that
> Dumbledore is rather a fan.

D'oh!  That's right, cockroach clusters were in the Sweet Shop sketch.  HA!So,
did you mean that Dumbledore is a fan of cockroach clusters, or of Monty Python?

> (all for stopping the use of "Mundane" in sca conversation in favor of
> "muggle". it much more effectively conveys the meaning)

Worth considering.  Mmmm, "mundane" comes from the Latin "mundo," meaning
"world," so all it means is "of the world."  Not really all that offensive in
itself, but it's a borrow-word from Science Fiction Fandom circa 1950, and they
definitely used it in a non-affectionate way.  Besides, not every SCAdian might
want to be identified as a non-Muggle. Surely you've known a few Dursley types in
the SCA, stuffy fogies of any age, I can think of a few already.

Didja know that 'muggles' is an obselete slang term for marijuana?

Selene