SC - RE: chocolate recipe?

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 8 12:18:41 PDT 2000

> > (all for stopping the use of "Mundane" in sca conversation in favor of
> > "muggle". it much more effectively conveys the meaning)
> Worth considering.  Mmmm, "mundane" comes from the Latin "mundo," meaning
> "world," so all it means is "of the world."  Not really all that offensive in
> itself, but it's a borrow-word from Science Fiction Fandom circa 1950, and they
> definitely used it in a non-affectionate way.

And unfortunately, the Potter books do have a lot of people using the term
'Muggle' in a disparaging way. (I suspect that the hoo-ha over the books
among conservative christians, who generally don't get that worked up over
fairy tales, is a fear of being compared to the Dursleys, Harry's awful
relatives.)

Admittedly, SCAdians tend to use 'mundane' in a mixed way too, some
neutral and some negative; but to use the term 'muggle' to describe a
non-SCAdian is definitely going to convey a negative impression of the
meaning to non-SCAdians who have read the books!

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, mka Jennifer Heise	      jenne at tulgey.browser.net

"They do not preach that their God will rouse them a little before the
	nuts work loose.
They do not preach that His Pity allows them to drop their job when
	they damn-well choose. " -Kipling, "The Sons of Martha"