SC - "paella" originally means 'pan'

Nanna Rögnvaldardóttir nannar at isholf.is
Tue Aug 8 16:30:45 PDT 2000

Hi everybody:

I think I posted a translation from de Nola regarding Spanish rice dishes a
few days back, but here it is again:

"Casserole of Rice in the Oven:	Clean the stones and dirt from the rice very
well, and wash it in two or three changes of cold water and then with hot
water, and once it is well washed set it to dry on a wooden board in the sun
or in the heat of a fire, and once it is dry clean it again in such a way as
it ends up very clean, then take a very clean casserole and add good meat
broth and set it to boil on the fire, and when it begins to boil add two or
three threads of saffron so that the broth ends up very yellow,  and when
the broth is very yellow, add the rice little by little, stirring it with a
stick or large spoon,  and when the rice is in the casserole, add just
enough broth as you see fit for it to cook no more , and taste it to see
that it is correct for salt and very fatty, and set it in the oven to cook,
and a little bit before it finishes cooking take it from the oven and add
some whole fresh egg yolks on top of the rice, and then return the casserole
to the oven so that it finishes cooking, and once it is cooked you will see
that the rice has formed a crust on top that is very good, and then prepare
the serving dishes and in each one should go one or two of the egg yolks
that are on top of the rice, and if the oven should not be ready, set the
casserole over a charcoal fire and place over it an iron cover full of
coals, and in this way it will come out as if it were cooked in the oven and
perhaps better because you will have it closer to watch it; and this is good
rice."

This is a lot closer to another Valencian rice dish: "arros a forn", (lit.
"rice in the oven") which is something like paella only more robust.  No
seafood, but sausages, blood pudding, spareribs, chickpeas, potatoes, and a
crust of beaten eggs.  When I lived in Valencia during college, I ran across
more variations on rice casseroles than I though possible: paellas with
seafood, vegetarian ones for Lent, rice with white beans and turnips, on and
on.  They even do a sort of noodle paella called fideua. (Squid with
noodles, yum!)

(I'd better stop this; I'm making myself hungry!)

Anybody know where to get morcilla?

Vicente