SC - Jelly Bean and other flavours

Tara Sersen tsersen at nni.com
Thu Aug 10 07:49:15 PDT 2000

Sue Clemenger wrote:

> Yeah, _that's_ who I was trying to remember! (gee, I guess I was _kinda
> close, huh?)
> --Maire
>
> Catherine York wrote:
> >
> > Also Stephen's son Eustace died from eating lampreys....
> >
> > Cathy

Okay, I seem to see a pattern developing here. The thing is, I can't
imagine what it is, assuming the lampreys were reasonably fresh and not
eaten either alive or raw, that would cause death, unless it was a
physical rupture of some kind. Parasites in fish tend to be eminently
visible if you know what to look for, and they are easily identifiable
even in cooked fish, and while unpleasant to even consider eating, if
the fish is fully cooked they're not especially dangerous.

Are lampreys cartilaginous? I forget... Most cartilaginous fish are hard
to eat if not fresh (skates a  possible exception) because they tend to
produce ammonia. Pretty hard not to notice bad shark, skate, or swordfish.

Or, alternately, and perhaps more likely, is there some precedent for
lampreys being considered medically unsound, regardless of the actual
cause of death? It seems significant that a fairish percentage of the
Plantaganet line should go that way.

Adamantius (we can't talk about Every Flavor Beans all the time, can we?)
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com