SC - Re: upholstery

Joan Nicholson gryphon at carlsbadnm.com
Sun Aug 13 14:14:09 PDT 2000

I'd hung onto this one for a long time with no
opportunity to reply...now's as good a time as any, I
guess:

- --- CorwynWdwd at aol.com wrote:
> "Unprocessed" honey has a tendency to crystallize. I
> can only assume that
> cold would speed this along, as gentle heat will
> rapidly reliquefy it. I
> don't know that either condition will affect
> "freshness" of honey.

I find crystallized honey all the time in friends'
cupboards and I microwave it.  Most, I've found, are
reassured when it resumes something like a normal
appearance and have no problem using it--although
one insisted on using it "just for cooking".

> Processed honey doesn't crystallize as easily, which
> is apparently the point.
> Get rid of all the pollen and other "thingies" in
> natural honey and there's
> nothing for crystals to condense onto. Of course you
> get rid of much of the
> flavor too.
>
> Crystallized honey is a yummy spread though, I
> sometimes feel a little guilty
> when friends want to throw out crystallized honey
> because it's "gone bad" and
> I offer to dispose of it for them... but I have
> explained it to people
> before, about half still want to get rid of it, go
> figure.

Yeah, that's really weird.  I take it you mean they
refuse to give it to you and throw it out, thinking
that you don't know what you're talkign about and it
really has "gone bad"?

I was brought up that honey never really can go bad,
and pre-microwave, one of my occasional winter day
chores was to gently heat a small pan of water and
reliquefy honey.

Berengaria