SC - Australian Cornflour - Definitive answer?

Drake & Meliora meliora at macquarie.matra.com.au
Mon Aug 14 02:39:34 PDT 2000

I've just ran across a paarticular notation in a cookbook I've been
enjoying. The book is "A Taste of Ancient Rome" by Ilaria Gozzini Giacosa
and translated by Anna Herklotz.  The reference appears in the second
chapter where she gives a (much appreciated) run down of those foods which
are _not_ Roman due to being New World.  She than includes (this is what
puzzles me) Eggplant with the list of foods which include corn, sweet and
hot peppers and turkey.

I've seen eggplant or "aubergine" referenced in many (many) recipes and
sources, is this a mistranslation or is eggplant in the recipes (especially
middle east) something besides what my concept of eggplant is?

Saffia al Sabia