Baka's recipes [was Re: SC - Jelly Bean and other flavours

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Mon Aug 14 09:34:55 PDT 2000

Eggplant (Solanum melongena) is native to SE Asia.  The most common variant
is the purple one, var. esculenta, but it also comes in white and striped
varieties.  It is commonly believed the Arabs found it in India after the
invasion of 712 and imported it to North Africa, Spain and Sicily.

The plant may have come to India after Nearchus' invasion (approx. 325 BCE)
or been overlooked by the Macedonian general.  The plant was unknown to the
Romans.

Bear