Pop Tarts and other Crud, was - Re: SC - Re: upholstery & I couldn't stands it no more

Donna Ford evfemia at mail.com
Mon Aug 14 12:29:35 PDT 2000

"E. Rain" wrote:

> Well a glance through all the recipe titles from the medieval manuscripts in
> L'Arte della cucina in Italia* shows no eggplant recipes, though it *may* be
> an ingredient in some dishes I haven't fully translated yet)
>
> similarly I do not find them in the 1598 english translation of the
> Epulario, the small portion of titles I've translated from Scappi so far, or
> Scully's 15th c. neapolitan colletion, but they are present in the 14th c.
> Cerruti tacuinum sanitatis (I assume they appear in other tacuinums as well,
> but didn't bother checking)  They are also mentioned by Castelvetro 1614.
>
> leaving Italy for Spain, they are present in both Sent Sovi 14th c. & Libre
> del coch 15th c.
>
> That's enough for one morning :->
> Eden

There seems to be some consistency here, if they appear not in Roman
recipes, and not in the Italian recipes checked so far, but an Italian
source originally written [theoretically] by one Abdul-Chassim, and then
in a bunch of Moorish-influenced Iberian sources.

Adamantius, who never liked eggplant anyway, but who will cook it for others
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com