SC - Butterscotch flavor

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 14 17:14:13 PDT 2000

- --- lilinah at earthlink.net wrote:

> The rose petals remind me of an Indian frozen
> dessert i've had,
> name's escaping me, made of frozen condensed milk
> (traditionally you
> cook the milk down yourself, not canned stuff),
> frozen into cone
> shapes, with pistachios in it and flavored with rose
> water...kulfi?
>
> Anahita al-shazhiyya bint-abd' al-Karim
> this thread sure beats Mario Nebbits with a Twinkie

Here is a modern Middle Eastern rose petal sorbet
recipe:

Sharbatee Gulab

5 cups fresh rose petals
2 1/2 cups sugar
1/4 cup lemon juice
3 cups crushed fresh or frozen pineapple
1 tbsp rosewater
Crystalized rose petals for garnish

Soak rose petals in 1 quart cold water overnight in
refrigerator.  Drain well and discard petals.  Make a
syrup of the rosewater and sugar by boiling them
together for 5-7 min. Cool, then add lemon juice,
pineapple and the rose liquid.  Freeze in trays
covered with foil until thick.  Stir well and refreeze
to sorbet consistency or freeze in an ice cream
freezer.  Serve garnished with crystalized rose
petals.  Makes about 2 1/2 quarts.

Huette

=====
shall never cease to be amused.