SC - mushrooms?

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Thu Aug 17 18:25:20 PDT 2000

"Laura C. Minnick" wrote:

> Susan Fox-Davis wrote:
>
> > Actually, you don't really see all that many mushroom recipes in the fancy
> > folks' cookbooks, do you?  I tend to consider mushrooms as peasants' food, mind
> > you a lot of peasants' food is tasty and filling and all that, but not as
> > well-documented for SCA contest/research purposes.
>
> 'Cept of course the lovely 'Funges' recipe- a leek and mushroom soup
> (from 14th c._Cury on Inglysche_, I think). Seumas once made it up as a
> thick-sauced vegetable dish, as there was a shortage of bowls, and
> simply cutting down on the amount of liquid worked wonderfully. I
> suspect there may be more but I don't have citations right on top of my
> head (nope- just a new crop of white hair...).

Also mosserouns yflorys, from one of the early 14th-century
proto-Formes-Of-Cury. (Funges is from FoC, late 14th century.) The
mosserouns dish appears to be of mushroom caps somehow larded, either
with a needle or perhaps by putting a slice of bacon inside the cap;
it's kind of unclear; then it all gets glazed with egg and roasted, then
sprinkled with spice powder, IIRC, although I'm not certain the larded
mushrooms aren't simply scrambled with egg yolks. That, by the way, is,
to me, the recipe in the Anglo-Norman corpus with the second-highest
number of unanswered questions. Old-timers on this list know what comes
first, but let's not go there right now.

Adamantius (remembering a mushroom recipe _and_ a truffle recipe in Apicius?_)
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com