SC - mushrooms?

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sun Aug 20 21:43:28 PDT 2000

Thanks to everyone waiting so patiently for my recipe on this.  I knew
it had to be in this one box, but it's a Large Box, with several 1000
cut-out-of-the-newspaper recipes in it, in complete disorder, and I
figured I'd just have to wait until I ran across it while sorting
everything.
At any rate...
The recipe came from an article in our local paper, and was intended
primarily as a sauce/basting liquid for a pot roast.  I primarily use it
for cooking a roast in a crock-pot.  The meat can be either beef or pork
(I've used both), and you may want to brown it first for additional
color, but that's not necessary.
The sauce comprises only 3 ingredients: 1 (12 oz.) can of Dr. Pepper, 1
envelope onion soup mix, and 1 bottle of chili sauce--the latter looks a
bit like catsup, and is found in the same aisle of the supermarket.  Mix
them together, and pour over your roast.  Cook as needed and serve it
forth <grin>.  In my crockpot, that's about 8 hours on "low."  I'm not
sure how it would be for pot roast in the oven types of cooking.
You can, of course, doctor it up with other spices, herbs, peppers,
etc., but I wouldn't add to much more salt, as there's plenty in the
onion soup mix.
- --Maire