SC - Re: Translation Help

Nanna Rögnvaldardóttir nannar at isholf.is
Mon Aug 21 18:14:49 PDT 2000

And it came to pass on 21 Aug 00,, that Vincent Cuenca wrote:

> Thanks for all the input; I checked another dictionary and found that
> "turma" means both testicle and truffle, so I'm guessing that all three of
> these names indicate varieties of truffle.

I have been translating the 1529 edition of de Nola.  The editor's
footnotes indicate that these are, indeed, all types of truffles.

>What kinds, I'm not sure.

Me neither.

> Horseradish is "rabano picante" or spicy radish;

The Virtual Cervantes library at http://www.cervantesvirtual.com has the
full text of a period agricultural manual.  The direct URL is:
http://www.cervantesvirtual.com/servlet/SirveObras/305301330001954467
073469/

Chapter XXXII is about radishes.  It distinguishes between "rabanos"
(radices) and "rabanos vagiscos", which have large wide leaves, and
which the Latins call "rafani".  It does not produce seeds, and is
cultivated by planting chunks of the root.  The root is more used than
the leaves, and is good for various ailments, especially in sauces and in
syrup.  Does this ring a bell for someone more skilled than I in
gardening?  A web search produced several pages that alleged that
"rafano" is Italian for horseradish (and that radici are radishes).

>I'm gonna drop back and
> punt with gallocresta and call it sage for now.

My dictionary says it's clary sage.

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
Settmour Swamp, East (NJ)
mka Robin Carroll-Mann