SC - Haggis and Strawberries

Jenne Heise jenne at tulgey.browser.net
Tue Aug 22 09:36:08 PDT 2000

- --=====================_1809182==_.ALT

Try this one:

>Sally Buck's Pickled Limes
>
>My grandmother, born in 1885, was a wonderful woman, storyteller, and
>cook. One of her favorite childhood food memories
>was pickled limes, which she would describe to me wistfully. Had I ever
>seen them? If I happened to find them, could I pick
>her up a jar? Just one would do...
>
>For years I hunted for the things, and finally in desperation I did some
>research at the Schlesinger, crossed my fingers, and made
>my first batch. Grandma was delighted, and so was I.
>
>These are the same pickled limes that Jo March loved and that saved
>British sailors from scurvy--a real madeleine of the
>nineteenth century. Here I've added pimentos for coloring and garlic
>because Garlic Belongs in Everything.
>
>They're supposed to look gray-green and taste like pickled soap.
>
>Ingredients:
>
>      5 to 6 limes, washed, halved, then quartered, so they are in eighths
>      lots of kosher salt
>      12 or more cloves of garlic, peeled and cut in slices
>      pimentos
>      canning jars (the old-fashioned kind with glass lids and rubber
> rings, since the metal lids can't stand brine. You can also
>      use a stoneware pickle jar)
>
>Start some water boiling.
>
>Put in the jar a layer of limes and pimentos, sprinkle all over with salt,
>and add a layer of garlic slices. Repeat until the jar is full.
>Fill the jar with boiling water. Put the cap on, but don't tighten it down.
>
>Let the jar ripen until the limes turn from bright green to grayish-green
>(about 3 weeks). A little whitish scum may form on the
>top if you've used waxed limes. Skim it off. Don't worry about it; this is
>an experience, germs don't count.
>
>Eat on a rainy Saturday while rereading Little Women.

"God has made the cat to give man the pleasure of caressing the
tiger."  Victor Hugo
- --=====================_1809182==_.ALT

My grandmother, born in 1885, was a wonderful woman, storyteller, and
cook. One of her favorite childhood food memories<br>
was pickled limes, which she would describe to me wistfully. Had I ever
seen them? If I happened to find them, could I pick<br>
her up a jar? Just one would do...<br>
For years I hunted for the things, and finally in desperation I did some
research at the Schlesinger, crossed my fingers, and made<br>
my first batch. Grandma was delighted, and so was I.<br>
These are the same pickled limes that Jo March loved and that saved
British sailors from scurvy--a real madeleine of the<br>
nineteenth century. Here I've added pimentos for coloring and garlic
because Garlic Belongs in Everything.<br>
They're supposed to look gray-green and taste like pickled soap. <br>
Ingredients: <br>
     5 to 6 limes, washed, halved, then quartered, so
they are in eighths <br>
     lots of kosher salt <br>
     12 or more cloves of garlic, peeled and cut in
slices <br>
     pimentos <br>
     canning jars (the old-fashioned kind with glass
lids and rubber rings, since the metal lids can't stand brine. You can
also<br>
     use a stoneware pickle jar) <br>
Start some water boiling.<br>
Put in the jar a layer of limes and pimentos, sprinkle all over with
salt, and add a layer of garlic slices. Repeat until the jar is
full.<br>
Fill the jar with boiling water. Put the cap on, but don't tighten it
down. <br>
Let the jar ripen until the limes turn from bright green to grayish-green
(about 3 weeks). A little whitish scum may form on the<br>
top if you've used waxed limes. Skim it off. Don't worry about it; this
is an experience, germs don't count.<br>
Eat on a rainy Saturday while rereading Little Women.<br>