SC - Re: Acorns

Robin Carroll-Mann harper at idt.net
Wed Aug 23 07:04:56 PDT 2000

Ron Rispoli wrote:

> [...]

As it happens, the waters off the New York City area aren't
significantly more polluted than most commercial fisheries, and are
significantly cleaner than a lot of Asian waters, since, unlike much of
Asia, there have been enforced sanitary regulations in place for a long
time. The waters to which I referred (which are offshore, so the
problems to which you refer are not only somwhat exaggerated but also
irrelevant in this case, unless you never eat seafood anywhere _from_
anywhere, ever again) actually supply a goodly amount of fin and shell
fish to both the Eastern half of the USA, and Europe, including much of
the world's supply of "Maine" lobster.

The only real problem that is in any way chronic for the local seafood
is mercury, which, once it soaks into the ground and gets into the water
table, is with you for a long time, and this occurs in a small
percentage, overall, of the total area of harvestable fisheries. This is
controlled by limiting the waters fished and the most susceptible
species taken (which is why most commercial striped bass is farmed), and
is enforced by both the NY Fish and Wildlife Service and the USCG. Most
commercial fisheries on the planet have the same problem and deal with
it in the same way.

Now knock off the ill-informed bashing before I mug you, and then sit in
my skyscraper eating knishes and talking in a Brooklyn accent. And maybe
saying "Fuhgeddaboudit" a few times.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy