SC - non-messy, period, dayboard-type food

Korrin S DaArdain korrin.daardain at juno.com
Fri Aug 25 21:56:03 PDT 2000

> Diana wrote:
>
> I've found a lovely site that has chestnut flour.
> Any ideas what to do with it?
>
> www.ethnicgrocer.com
>
> Also, they have sweet rice powder and sweet rice flour.  What
> difference is this from just plain rice flour?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Diana d'Avignon

There's a northern Italian um, I don't know what to call it... a gateau,
perhaps. A big flat cake, or maybe an enormous cookie, made with
chestnut flour and pignoles. Castignacci? I'll have to take a bit to
look up details.

As for sweet rice, it's what the Chinese call glutinous rice. Whether
it's any sweeter, really, than other types of rice, is hard to say
because it is often served with sweet things like lop cheung (pork
sausages cured with sugar), barbecued pork, etc. Sweet rice powder is
used as a coating for steamed meats such as spare ribs; as I recall this
is a Shanghainese thing. It appears as a coarse meal or flour, but when
steamed it is pleasantly granular and is great for absorbing gravies and
the liquid that accumulates when steaming meats on a plate. Sweet rice
flour may or may not be what is known as water-ground rice flour, which
is exceptionally fine, usually used for noodles and dumpling wrappers.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com