SC - Reciepe Title

CalicoJim1@aol.com CalicoJim1 at aol.com
Sun Aug 27 10:17:43 PDT 2000

On 8/27/00 2:37 AM sca-cooks at ansteorra.org wrote:

>From:  TerryD at Health.State.OK.US (Decker, Terry D.)
>Sender:    owner-sca-cooks at ansteorra.org
>To:    sca-cooks at ansteorra.org ('sca-cooks at ansteorra.org')

>I also have one other problem.  I'm short one dish -- Elizabethan,
>vegetable, preferably green, definitely not spinach.  Anyone got any ideas
>or recipes?
>
>Bear

Having had my Lorwin forever (25+ yrs), she was my first reaction...

Let's see, what's "vegetive", not spinach and looks like it would come
out green?

To stewe hartechockes in creme - John Murrell, A Booke of cookerie, 1621
"Take the thickest bottomes of the thickest Hartechockes being very
tender boyled, and stew them in a little butter and vinegar, whole Mace
and Sugar, then take halfe a pinte of sweete Cream boyled with whole
Mace, straine it with the yolkes of two-new-laid egges, and brewe them
together with halfe a ladlefull of the best thicke butter and vinegar,
and a little Sugar, so dish up the bottomes of the Hartechockes, & lay it
with sippets of a slickt Lemon round about, then poure your sauce on the
toppe of the Hartechockes, and sticke them full of fryde tosts upright
scrape on a little Sugar and serve it to the table hot."

To boyle ... peascods - the same
"Take greene sugar Pease when the pods bee but young, and pull out the
string of the backe of the podde, and picke the huske of the stalkes
ends, and as many as you can take up in your hand at three several times,
put them into the pipkin, with halfe a pound of sweete Butter, a quarter
of a pint of faire water, a little grosse Pepper, Salt, and Oyle of Mace,
and let them stue very softly until they bee very tender, then put in the
yolkes of two or three rawe egges strained with six spoonefuls of Sacke,
and as much Vinegar, put it into your Peascods and brew them with a
ladle, then dish them up."

A grand salad of watercress - Robert May, The Accomplisht cook, 1660
To boil French beans or lupins - the same
A salad of watercress and violets - the same

Also, she created a lettuce/chicory/endive salad from a material in a
couple of dietaries :
"All herbs should be eaten according to the time of the year and the
property of them, the hot sorts for winter, the cold for summer, and the
temperate for spring and autumn." (Among the cold herbs he placed
lettuce, white endive, succor (chicory or curly endive). For old people,
he said, it was) "expedient sometimes to boyle [lettuce] whole in
pottage, and afterwards to eat them with Sugar, Vinegar and Oyle. In this
manner Galen used it in his old age against watchfulnesse
(sleeplessness)". William Vaughan's Directions for health (1617)

and "Among al hearbes, none hath so good juyce as lettice.  Some men doe
suppose that it maketh abundance of bloud, albeit not very pure or
perfect : it doth set a hot appetite and eaten in the evening it
provoketh sleep.  Suckory or Cycory is like in operation to Lettice and
tempereth choler wonderfully." Thomas Elyot's The Castle of health (1610)

There are several other Salads, esp the two May/watercress items listed
above.

Well, do you want period or Elizabethan?  Looks like you might squeeze
the Murrell in, but the May looks pretty late.  Here's hoping others come
up with references a bit more in period!

Chimene

PS What a week!  Best wishes for improvement in the REAL near future!