SC - interesting URL - food shopping!

Tara Sersen tsersen at nni.com
Tue Aug 29 07:07:13 PDT 2000

> Oh, you have my sympathies about your oven-less state.  I have been in
this
> situation for a few years now and I really miss baking biscuits (I can do
> almost everything else that I want to do in the microwave, toaster oven,
or
> breadmaker).  Christmas dinner is always a bit of a challenge too!  I had
> double oven (one smaller than normal and one larger) and both of those
were
> pressed into service for Christmas.  Now I have 3 hotplates (one which is
> either on or off), 1 microwave (with the wrong plate because I broke the
> original; this means that the turntable doesn't), a toaster oven/grill,
and
> a few odd gadgets (my latest is a donut baker - now that is fun!).
*sigh*

O.k.... this may sound a little odd, but there are a couple of solutions to
the "no oven" problem if all you want to do is cook smaller stuff.  The
first is what's called a "convenience" oven.  It's essentially a rather
large toaster oven (usually will hold a 10 or 11 inch pan) but which will
actually bake and broil.  I've used this for several years with a great
deal of success when I didn't have access to a conventional oven.  These
tend to run about $50.  I got mine at Service Merchandise but that was
years ago.  You can also get a small convection oven, a little larger than
the "convenience" oven, which will hold a large chicken or small turkey at
places like "Home Place" for the $100 range.

And then there's the one that can be taken camping!  The "red devil" grill
that you see advertised on late night tv has a domed lid with a temperature
gauge and can be used as an oven.  I haven't actually tried this yet, but I
think that I will sometime soon.  I expect that it works well... the
construction seems sound and we've had fine results just grilling on it.
I'll get my husband to set it up for me for baking sometime soon and try it
out and let you know how it works.

I remain, in service to Meridies,
Lady Celia des L'archier