Was Re: SC - interesting URL - food shopping! now OOP Tofu

Elaine Koogler ekoogler at chesapeake.net
Tue Aug 29 06:48:10 PDT 2000

Stefan li Rous wrote:

> And some Prima Donna cooks sometimes forget they are part of a team.
> Sometimes it is a good idea to consult with the other folks running an
> event. The cook may or may not decide to follow their advice or comments,
> but often the diplomacy of simply being willing to listen will smooth
> over the original opposition to an idea. Conversely, not being wiling to
> listen to any comments or suggestions can often lead to a more stubborn
> opposition to any new ideas.
>
> At least in our area, the autocrat/event steward is the one ultimately
> responsible for the event. The headcook works under him (or her).

I would say in most parts of the Known World, this is the case. (The
fact that this is one of the few intersections between period and SCA
practice is probably neither here nor there.) It's possible the issue is
clouded in some cases by several possible factors, ranging from an
experienced cook/autocrat working with an inexperienced autocrat, or a
cook with a good reputation being given completely free rein but not
actually exempt from the authority of the autocrat should the autocrat
need to assert that authority, to a simple mutual exchange of respect
and consideration we generally call "courtesy".

I feel I'm subject to the authority of the autocrat, but every autocrat
I've ever worked with has always pretty much told me to do what I want
as long as I'm within budget and make myself available for questions
from staff and populace before the event. I think this is fair, and
doesn't especially compromise my role as Sensitive Artiste. It is quite
common for even an executive chef to be under the authority of some kind
of manager or business owner, and even an F&B manager is part of a
heirarchy, as were Taillevent, Chiquart, and Martino. These men were
arguably geniuses, and almost definitely leaders of their profession in
their time, but they were also servants. Dealing with their superiors
was simply part of the job, then as now, even when those superiors can
at times be unreasonable.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy