Broken Ovens (was Re: SC - Dining with William Shakespeare)

Lee-Gwen Booth piglet006 at globalfreeway.com.au
Tue Aug 29 09:11:53 PDT 2000

Caboges is cabbages cooked then drained and sauced with a beef marrow/saffron combo.
Yes, it can be messy, and it is tasty[even though for the potluck I made it with
chicken broth as my planned dish supplies didnt make it back from the store in time
;-( ] and could be kept on a backburner most of the day quite well.

> > > Caboges (Two Fifteenth Century)
> >
> > I'd avoid caboges.  It's rather messy & not the most popular veggie I can
> > think of.
>
> If we describe them in terms of cole slaw or sauerkraut we can sell it.  Besides,
> cabbage is still cheap after all these centuries!

pie crusts are simple to make once learned and can be quick to make.

> Pye is one of the basic food groups of the Middle Ages so we'll have to make our
> own pastry sometime won't we?  Can we utilize won ton skins or flour tortillas for
> any of this?

*snarf*