Filo/phyllo-- was [Re: SC - duck and bread]

Elaine Koogler ekoogler at chesapeake.net
Tue Aug 29 12:30:13 PDT 2000

LrdRas at aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 8/29/00 12:54:47 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
> jenne at tulgey.browser.net writes:
>
> << but
>  I think it's silly to think that other cooks knew 'exactly' how much the
>  first cook thought was 'enough'.  >>
>
> Considering that cooks in manor houses and those that cooked for royals and
> nobles were members of guilds , I don't find this silly at all.

I don't know how true it is that professional cooks outside of towns
were guild members, but certainly cooks worked with other cooks and
learned from them, and there's at least the theoretical possibility that
a specific technique could be passed from one generation of cooks to
another, just as parents pass recipes to children. Of course, there's no
guarantee quantities have never been forgotten, changed or tweaked over
the generations, either, especially when different numbers of people
were being served each time.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy