SC - OT - freezing things

BaronessaIlaria@aol.com BaronessaIlaria at aol.com
Tue Aug 29 19:22:20 PDT 2000

- -----Original Message-----
From: Jenne Heise

>All of these are fish menus, so we can conjectorure that the little old
>man who got married around 1393 and who lived in Paris, felt that greens
>should be served with fish, not meat, and probably thought of them as a
Lenten dish.

>Perhaps it was a renaissance fashion, to eat fresh greens in spring?

Perhaps salads were listed for a Lenten menu because the greens are more
plentiful during that time and unavailable the rest of the year.  Off hand
fall greens such as mustard and kale are best cooked.  Cabbages are best
pickled in case the next years spring greens fail.  The spring in northern
Europe isn't very long even for wild greens.