SC - Period cookshop at Pennsic?

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Tue Aug 29 19:10:17 PDT 2000

At 5:58 PM -0400 8/28/00, ChannonM at aol.com wrote:
>In a message dated 8/28/00 12:08:02 PM Eastern Daylight Time, HG  writes:

(quoting me)

>  >  >  > Tabahaja (I'm thinking of the one that's fried meat in a sauce of
>>   >  > murri and honey)
>>   >
>>   >Sure. Possibly served on skewers. Modern sensibilities view them as
>>   >"teriyaki" or "bbq" type food. Also easily transportable, meat and easy
>>   >to prepare.

But since they aren't cooked on skewers, that not only is unnecessary
trouble but gives a misleading view of the dish.

>  >  Or in bowls over rice--otherwise you lose the sauce.

We always serve them on rice

>Could we not use trenchers? This is the kind of thing that would set us apart
>from the other shops.

Do we have any reason to think that 13th c. Andalusians used
trenchers? Putting a 13th c. Muslim dish on a 15th c. English
trencher may set us apart--but not for the historical accuracy of
what we are doing. On the other hand, we know they had rice and that
they served things on it--we even have a period attack on doing so
(as the oldfashined, uncultured way of serving a meal).
- --
David/Cariadoc
http://www.daviddfriedman.com/