SC - That ubiquitous site!

Lee-Gwen Booth piglet006 at globalfreeway.com.au
Tue Aug 29 22:17:46 PDT 2000

- ----- Original Message -----
From:  Jadwiga Zajaczkowa
> Of course, we don't know what they considered the range for 'enough', but
> I think it's silly to think that other cooks knew 'exactly' how much the
> first cook thought was 'enough'. And even if they did, some people
> probably liked their armored turnips with more or less cheesy or spicy,
> their fritters more or less poofy with yeast.

The thought occurs to me that there is also the possibility of variable
quality of ingredients which could render measurements useless.  When one
considers, for example, the distance spices had to travel - not to mention
the effect the weather and such things could have on the crop - I wonder if
the medieval cook expected the level of standardisation to which we are
accustomed?

Gwynydd