SC - Period cookshop at Pennsic?

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Tue Aug 29 21:38:00 PDT 2000

Huette von Ahrens wrote:>

> It just occured to me just as I was reading this
> message, what do the Arabic countries currently use as
> their standard measurements?  Are they using the same
> ratls, etc. as their ancestors did?  If yes, then why
> not purchase some measuring cups from your local
> Arabic market?  If not, then just forget what I have
> just said.

You bring up an important point.  The amounts changed markedly depending on
time and place.  The learned Cariadoc and Elizabeth say in their Miscellany, "1
ratl = 12 uqiya = 1 pint; 1 Makkuk = 7.5-18.8 liters dry measure" so that's
what I've used so far.

I've only seen standard U.S. measuring cups in Middle Eastern markets here, by
the way, I've looked for ratl-cups.

Selene