SC - CAWL CENNIN CYMRAEG - WELSH LAMB STEW WITH LEEKS

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Wed Aug 30 09:54:06 PDT 2000

> recipes seem to prove.  As for the poem, which is a
> puzzle, I ask this: how thin was paper during the time
> that this poem was written?  A lot of the home-made
> papers that I have seen many paper-makers produce
> don't come anywhere near as thin as modern papers or
> modern filo dough.

I've handled real, live 15th century books of days with paper almost as fine
as the stuff they print Bibles on nowadays.  I've also purchased hand-made papers
from Pearl Arts & Crafts that were extremely fine, almost onion-skin weight.
 The reason why most hand-made paper is fairly crude is that most of us trying
to make it are amateurs - even those who do it alot don't do it as a career,
only a hobby.

- -Magdalena vander Brugghe