SC - period salad referances

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Wed Aug 30 10:21:33 PDT 2000

Margali skrev:

>odd, you really don't tend to see a lot of real dairy in modern chinese
>cooking, but it would give the fat compoennt to the noodlle]

Many Asians are lactose intolerant in adulthood- after puberty they tend not
to produce lactase, the enzyme which digests it- that's why there's little
to no cheese or milk in modern Chinese foods. OTOH, this recipe may not have
come fron people of solid Asian heritage- many Northerners eat much more
dairy in adulthood than most equatorial folk, because milk is a necessary
food source in northern climes. Depending on the time period, this recipe
could have been popular with any of a number of different genetic heretages.

Phlip

Nolo disputare, volo somniare et contendere, et iterum somniare.

phlip at morganco.net

Philippa Farrour
Caer Frig
Southeastern Ohio

"All things are poisons.  It is simply the dose that distinguishes between a
poison and a remedy." -Paracelsus

"Oats -- a grain which in England sustains the horses, and in
Scotland, the men." -- Johnson

"It was pleasant to me to find that 'oats,' the 'food of horses,' were
so much used as the food of the people in Johnson's own town." --
Boswell

"And where will you find such horses, and such men?" -- Anonymous