SC - Period cookshop at Pennsic?

Catherine Deville catdeville at mindspring.com
Wed Aug 30 13:04:34 PDT 2000

Your Grace,
Can you tell me please, why you have to cook the lamb seperately from the
onions & garbanzos.  It would seem to me that the juices from the meat would
give the other stuff such a lovely flavor that you couldn't really get by
putting the meat in at the end.
thank you
Phillipa

A ROAST OF MEAT

(Western Islamic, 13th c. Andalusian p. A-38.)
>From Cariadoc's Miscellany. Copyright © by David Friedman, 1988,  1990, 1992

Roast salted, well-marbled meat [cut up] like fingertips, and put in a pot
spices, onion, salt, oil and soaked garbanzos. Cook until done and add the
roast meat; cover the contents of the pot with cilantro and sprinkle with
pepper and cinnamon; and if you add whole pine nuts or walnuts in place of
garbanzos, it will be good.

1 1/2 lb lamb or beef
2 15 oz cans chickpeas
3 small onions = 3/4 lb
1 t salt
spices:
    1/4 t cumin
    1/2 t coriander
    1/2 t cinnamon
    1/4 t black pepper
3 T olive oil
1/4 c green coriander, pressed down
1/8 t more pepper
1/4 t more cinnamon

Note: an earlier recipe in the same book calls for spices and then specifies
which ones: "all the spices, pepper, cinnamon, dried coriander and cumin."

Roast meat and cut into about 1/4" by 1/2" pieces.
Slice onions.
Put chickpeas, onion, spices, salt and oil in a pot and cook over moderate
heat, stirring,     for 10 minutes, turning down the heat toward the end as
it gets dry;
Add meat and cook one minute,
Add green coriander and cook another minute, and turn off heat.
Sprinkle with pepper and cinnamon
Serve