Filo/phyllo-- was [Re: SC - duck and bread]

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 30 17:41:46 PDT 2000

- --- Olwen the Odd <olwentheodd at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Begin with how many mouths will be in attendence at
> this dinner.  That is
> always the best place to begin.  From there, figure
> your budget (max) and
> then begin to flesh in the feast.
> olwen

Gee, I do the opposite.  I figure out what I want to
make, then I figure out how much it will cost to make
each dish and then, because usually the reservations
don't come until very late, I figure out how many I
will have to feed [and always include your freebies,
usually your head table, your cooks, servers and clean
up crew].  Yes, I do extrapolate a bit, because the
hall will only hold so many people.  But my budget is
never final until I know exactly how many reservations
and guests there will be.  And, yes, I usually add in
a couple of extra meals for those travelling royals
who don't tell you they are coming to visit your
kingdom until they show up at the event.  But I start
with the food itself first.  In my humble opinion, you
will only put yourself over budget or struggle too
much to keep within budget if you start with the
potential diners first and then work on the food.  I
have never had to struggle with my budgets.  I have
always come in under budget.

Huette

=====
shall never cease to be amused.